Ayurveda for Hypothyroidism: Causes, Symptoms, And Treatment
Endocrine glands have many glands, various glands release different hormones.
Any disturbance in metabolism, fat accumulation, body system and functional disturbance is caused by imbalance secretion of hormones.one such important gland is thyroid gland.
Thyroid gland is butterfly shaped gland that sits low on the front of the neck, below Adam’s apple.
Thyroid hormone controls body’s metabolism, transforms the food in to energy. The thyroid gland releases
T3 (triiodothyronine) and T4(thyroxine).
These hormones play an important role in regulation of weight, energy levels, skin and Hair growth.
Thyroid fails to produce enough hormones results in Hypothyroidism.
What causes Hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism is caused by primary or secondary cause.
Primary cause of hypothyroidism is more common. Primary cause directly impacts the thyroid and create low levels of thyroid hormones.
In secondary cause, the pituitary gland fails to produce TSH from the thyroid gland.
1) The common primary cause is auto immune condition called Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, hereditary condition passed down through a family.
2) Thyroiditis (inflammation of the thyroid)
3) Iodine deficiency
4) Treatment of hyperthyroidism
5) Hereditary condition
What is Hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism is a condition where thyroid doesn’t create and release enough thyroid hormone in to the blood stream.
This results in slow metabolism, also called underactive thyroid.
This is common thyroid problem affects people of all age, gender, especially in women after menopause.
Now a days it’s common in reproduction age group resulting in infertility.
What are the symptoms?
Fatigue (always feeling tired after some work)
Numbness and tingling sensation in hands
Higher cholesterol levels
Can’t tolerate cold
Dry hairs, hairfall
Having frequent and heavy menstrual periods
Dropping eyelids, puffiness of eyes and face
Pain, stiffness or swelling in joints
Ayurveda treatment for Hypothyroidism
Ayurveda treatment is aimed to treat first Agni of the patient, basically Agni helps to improve metabolism of the body, in hypothyroidism metabolism is the most commonly affected.
1) Deepana paachana done to improve metabolism, which reduces weight also.
2) Virechana followed by snehana swedana.
Removes toxins from the body by balancing vitiated tridoshas.
3) udhvarttana, it is the external application of medicated powder on the body with slight pressure.
Stimulates blood circulation, reduces kapha dosha, body cholesterol, hence reduces obesity.
Ayurveda tips and remedies for hypothyroidism and to prevent thyroid hormone imbalance
1) Life style plays very important role in preventing such deseases.
2) Diet plan, include vitamin C and D rich food in your diet like Amalaki, Citrus fruits, all fresh seasonal fruits locally available.
Green leafy vegetables intake helps to treat and prevent hypothyroidism.
3) Methi seeds, soap 1/2 tsp is metho seeds in water overnight and have next day early morning.
Reduce fat, sugar, stimulates metabolism.
4) selenium rich food intake like banana, grapes, sunflower seeds, fish, egg, whole grains.
5) Edible coconut oil in diet.
6) cut of sugar in diet
Yoga for Hypothyroidism
Daily practice of yoga prevents hormonal imbalance and also by daily practice we can treat thyroid problems.
1) Daily practice of Surya namaskar for 10 -12 time,
helps to overcome hypothyroidism.
Ayurveda herbs for hypothyroidism:
So, by following the diet, healthy life style and Ayurveda way of life one can prevent and treat thyroid problems.
To know more, talk to a doctor at Sushain Clinic. Dial +91 6390905275 or Click on ‘Video Consultation with Ayurvedic Doctors‘