Ayurveda Treatment and Home Remedies for Dysmenorrhea (Period Pain)
Dysmenorrhea or periods pain also called menstrual cramps is throbbing-like pain in the lower abdomen during menstruation, that can be so severe it makes women face difficulties in their daily routine work.
Period pain or menstrual cramps are the most common gynecological issues in many women during their reproductive stage of life.
Dysmenorrhea is the medical term used for menstrual cramps or periods of pain. Period pain is caused by prostaglandins that are made in the lining of the uterus, prostaglandins contract the muscles and blood vessels of the uterus resulting in periods of pain.
There are two types of Dysmenorrhea:
1) Primary Dysmenorrhea:
It is a common period of pain that is not related to any pelvic disease.
2) Secondary Dysmenorrhea:
Periods pain will be severe and caused by underlying medical conditions in the uterus like fibroid uterus, PID (Pelvic Inflammatory Disease), ovarian cysts, endometriosis, etc.
What are causes of periods pain?
• Normal periods pain is caused due to prostaglandins.
• Secondary Dysmenorrhea or severe period pain is caused due to fibroids, ovarian cysts, endometriosis, adenomyosis, PID, etc.
What are the symptoms of periods pain?
Common symptoms in primary Dysmenorrhea or periods pain are-
• Dull throbbing pain in the lower abdomen starts a day or two before periods, and normally lasts for a few days, in some women it can last longer.
• Lower back pain
• Pain in hips, inner thighs and calf muscles
• Nausea or vomitting
• Loose stools
• Periods pain or Dysmenorrhea is caused due vitiated vata dosha results in Kashtaartava, that is painful menstrual cycle. So, Ayurveda treatment is planned to normalise the vitiated vata dosha.
Please post your health issues.
Our Ayurveda expert will get back to you.
Ayurveda treatment and Home Remedies for periods pain or Dysmenorrhea:
If the menstrual cramps are due to secondary Dysmenorrhea, then panchakarma treatment is planned to treat the underlying medical conditions. Abhyanga with medicated oil having vata Hara property
• Uttara basti
• Shamana treatment is given with sthanika chikitsa using ayurveda herb
• Yoni prakshalana (douching done with Triphala kwatha)
• Yoni pichu
Ayurveda Periods Pain Relief Home Remedies:
Menstrual cramps or periods pain or primary Dysmenorrhea caused due to normal hormonal changes during cycle can be treated and prevented to get relieve from Stomach Pain During Periods.
1) Ahara plays a very important role that is following Rajawsala charya during menstruation with home remedies like food rich in fruits, mishri, barley, Shashtika rice is used as diet. Spicy, fried, sour, heavy should be avoided to balance the vitiated doshas and to reduce cramps.
2) Gentle lower abdomen massage followed by hot bag massage to relieve pain.
3) Intake of ajwain tea, that is boiling 1/4 th spoon of ajwain in 2 cups of water reduction to 1/4 the having it reduce period pain.
4) Periods Pain Relief Home Remedies like Jeera coriander coffee that is fried and powdered jeera and coriander in equal quantity is stored, 1/4 tsp boiled in 1/2 cup of water then little jaggery and 1/4 th cup milk is added boiled, this coffee is used to reduce periods cramps.
5)Red hibiscus flower tea, boiling petals of flowers in water and having this tea daily prevents periods cramps.
6) Intake of fresh ginger tea once or twice in a day
Important herbs used to treat Dysmenorrhea or periods pain:
• Kumari (Aloevera)
Role of yoga to treat and prevent Dysmenorrhea or periods pain:
Yoga is the best line of treatment for Period Pain Solution or Dysmenorrhea and also can be prevented by daily practice of yoga. By practicing specific asana that strengthens pelvic muscles, improves flexibility, reduces stress, relaxes muscles. Yoga regulates the hormone, relaxes uterus, reduce pain.
Asanas that can be practiced daily to treat and prevent periods cramp are:
• Suptabadda konasana
• Upavishta konasana
Practicing Anuloma viloma pranayam helps to be relaxed in both physical and mental health. So, by having good diet, following Rajaswalacharya, Ayurvedic Medicine for Period Pain, Ayurveda treatment and Remedies, daily yoga practice, periods pain or Dysmenorrhea can be treated and prevented.