Ayurveda Treatment in Arthritis- Causes, Symptoms, Yoga & Diet
Ayurvedic treatments for arthritis are caused by an autoimmune disease in which the tissues in and around the joints become inflamed, causing severe pain.This autoimmune system can also affect other organs of the human body such as the liver, kidney, heart, and lungs.
What are the causes of arthritis?
The major causes of arthritis are:
- Autoimmune disorder
- Joint injury or chronic strain on the joint
What are the common symptoms of arthritis?
The common symptoms of arthritis include:
- Pain and stiffness
- Brittleness of bone
Ayurvedic treatment of arthritis is one of the autoimmune diseases that needs to be treated with great care. For good results, always choose an experienced Ayurvedic doctor. Online Ayurvedic consultations are made possible today by sushianclinic.com, which is staffed by the most experienced Ayurvedic doctors.
Home Remedies to Ease Arthritis Pain
Here are a bunch of home remedies to relieve you from the arthritis pain:
- Ajwain: It is one of the best ayurvedic medicine readily available in kitchen.
- Dashmool: It is a Sanskrit word where Dash means"10" and mool means "Root" . So essentially it is combination of 10 dried roots. The Dashmools are ‘5 Brihat Panchamoola’ (i.e. Bilva, Agnimantha, Kashmari, Shyonaka, and Patala) which are obtained from large trees and ‘5 Laghu Panchamoola’, (i.e. Sarivan, Kantakari, Shalaparni, Prishniparni and Gokhru) which are obtained from smaller shrubs.
- Eucalyptus: Eucalyptus oil applied to joints and affected areas reduces pain and inflammation associated with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Nirgundi: Its powerful anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, and antioxidant properties help joints restore a healthy state.
- Ginger: It is a very common medicinal root available in Indian kitchens and topical application of ginger extract can improve knee osteoarthritis. Applied 3 times for 12 weeks.
Diet to ease Arthritis
Diet plays a crucial role in protecting your body. Here are a few items you must include in your diet.
- Omega 3 fatty acids.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables for antioxidants.
- Ginger and turmeric for their anti-inflammatory property.
- Nuts for good protein.
Yoga Asana For Arthritis
- Virabhadrasana or Warrior pose
- Vrikshasana /Tree Pose
- Trikonasana/ Triangle Pose:
Ayurveda Approach to Spondylitis
Ankylosing spondylitis is an inflammatory rheumatic disease. Ankylosing means stiff or stiff, spondyl means spine and itis means inflammation. This condition causes inflammation in the spine, causing stiffness and pain.
What are the causes of Ankylosing spondylitis?
• There is no known specific cause for this condition.
• Only certain people with a gene called HLA-B27 are at increased risk.
• Family history and genetic causes
• Age factor
• Other health problems such as Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis can develop due to increased Ama (toxin).
- Pain and stiffness in the lower back and hips.
- Neck pain
- The joint between the base of the spine and pelvis, vertebrae in the Lower back, hip, shoulder joint.
- Pain , stiffness and inflammation of other joints like ribs, shoulder, knees or feet.
- Loss of appetite and weight.
- Abdominal pain and loose bowel movements.
How Ayurveda explained this condition?
- Ankylosing spondylitis is the asthi majja gata aama vata.
- Ama accumulation, results in the condition causing inflammation, stiffness and pain.
What is the treatment for Ankylosing Spondylitis?
If the patient knows it in the early stages, results are fast, and even in the later stages, long-term treatments can reduce pain, stiffness, inflammation, improve metabolism and appetite, and remove flax from the body.
- Early treatment in initial stage
- Life style changes
- Diet advised
- Sthanika bhasti like Greeva basti, Kati basti
- Some internal medication
- Practice of yoga is advised
- Treatment in advanced stage
- Snehana swedana followed by Virechana.
- Pratimarsha nasya to relieve stress, stiffness of neck, relax facial and neck muscles
- So main treatment is to remove ama, improve agni, reduce pain, stiffness, inflammation of joints.
- Freshly prepared home made food that has fruits , vegetables, whole grains
- Nuts intake
- Use of ajwain, hing in the diet
- Drinking warm water
- Avoid junk, oily, deep fried food.
- Avoid salt, sugar diet
- Avoid tea, coffee, beverages
- Avoid packed food
- Having food at proper time
Importance of buying Ayurvedic medicine for ankylosing spondylitis:
- Ginger, removes ama, improve agni, treat anti-inflammatory conditions.
- Guduchi Best medicine for autoimmune condition, rich in antioxidants, treat inflammation, pain and stiffness.
- Shallaki is an anti-inflammatory and treats arthritis condition by reducing pain.
- Ashwagandha acts as balya, by giving strength and boosting immunity.
Important home remedies for Ankylosing Spondylitis:
- Drinking warm water boiled with shunti( Adhrak)
- Including black pepper in diet daily with food.
- Having castor oil 1 tsp daily in diet, by adding while mixing dough for roti.
- Always have warm fresh food
- Turmeric tea, boiling 1/4 pure turmeric in 1 cup of water or milk
- Sitting in early morning Sun light
- Having Amla daily either as fresh fruit or in juice form.
Yoga is also a home remedy that is treated equally in the early and late stages. The daily practice of yoga and pranayama reduces stiffness and swelling, supports proper movement, relaxes muscles, and relieves stress and can reduce Anxiety.
- Marjari aasana