Skin is the largest organ of the body. The skin protects us from microbes, feels the sensation of touch, heat, cold, helps to regulate body temperature.
Skin is made up of water, protein, fats and minerals.
Layers of the skin:
- Epidermis, the top layer.
- Dermis, the middle layer.
- Hypodermis, the bottom (fatty) layer.
Skin holds body fluids, by preventing dehydration.
Melanin gives skin it's colour.
Vitamin D is the best vitamin for skin. Skin is largest organ of our body and also important sense organ.
Skin is externally not only protects us from heat cold, also bond between inner and outer personality.
So it's important to take care of skin
Skin reflects the inner health.
So Ayurveda mainly balances vitiated Doshas which is visible on skin and also internally that is to treat root cause.
What are the causes?
According to Ayurveda imbalance of any dosha may cause skin problems.
Basically dominant of pitta dosha imbalance, leads to skin problems.
Many skin deseases are there but for all problems the causes are tridosha imbalance, vitiation of twak, rakta, mamsa, and ambu(water element in body)
1) Psychological causes:
Lack of sleep
- Dietary causes play a major role
- spicy , fried, fat food like cheese , fried potatoes, over intake imbalance pitta and Agni(digestive fire)
- more intake of sour, salty food like sauces, venigar
- excessive intake of salty food
- Viruddhaahaara intake daily like
- Fish with curd
- Sour fruits with milk like milk shake
- Fish and milk together.
Exposed to polluted chemical gases
strong chemical cosmetics.
contact with external factors like plant, weather
What are the symptoms?
Symptoms vary from specific layer of skin involved and dosha dominant.
Common symptoms are
- rashes, might be it itchy or painful.
- rough or scaly skin
- Raised bumps that are red or white
- Peeling skin
- Discoloration of skin
- Skin growth or warts
Ayurveda treatment for skin problems
Aim of Ayurveda treatment is to build up dosha balance, so it's important to analyse the person skin condition and dosha dominance.
So first method of treatment is
1) Healthy diet
- Having food rich in nutrients specially fresh fruits and leafy vegetables.
- Avoid Sugary items, salty snacks
- Fried and fat food
- Daily intake of incompatible food like milk with sour fruits.
2) Life style
3) The best treatment to treat the skin problems and to take proper care of
Skin is through panchakarma, removes accumulation of toxins in the body.
Virechana followed by proper sansarjana karma.
Ayurveda herbs for skin care:
1) Neem leaves
Neem leaves are rich in antioxidants, vitamin E and triglycerides, acts as anti ageing.
Lowers wrinkles, dark spots and increases skin glow.
2) Turmeric or Haridra
Turmeric had properties of anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, because of ingredient curcumin. So it care of natural glow of skin and also treats allergic reaction.
3) Aloevera or Kumari
Commonly grown house old plant available everywhere.
Used as natural moisturizer, for sunburn, eczema, acne because of its soothing and cooling action.
Can be used internally and externally to reduce skin dryness for pitta prakriti person.
Home remedies for skin
- Boiled neem leaves in water , use that water to take bath daily, acts as antibacterial, antifungal, maintain healthy status of the skin.
- proper hydration is also good remedy for healthy skin.
- massage with sesame oil followed by steam
- Aloevera gel massage for itching and rashes
- face pack using curd 2 tsp, turmeric, basen, honey each 1tsp .
- fruit face pack like papaya or banana increases skin glow
- Apply kumkumaadi taila daily for night massage specially to the face.
- Honey acts as anti bacterial to treat infections and also reduces acne.
- Honey can be applied on face, skin should be clean and dry, massage in circular motion for few minutes, then wash with normal water.
Yoga for healthy skin
Yoga always works on both body and mind, if person is healthy physically and mentally, it reflects on skin.
Skin care is very important in all ages and all seasons. So avoid crash diet which causes skin stretch marks, wrinkles. So with proper diet and home remedies skin care can be done .
For any skin deseases ayurveda Medication treat condition through Panchakarma or Shamana aushadis.