Ayurvedic Treatment for Orthopedic Diseases Symptoms, Causes, and More
Orthopedic is a branch of medicine concerned with the treatment of injuries of the skeleton and associated structures such as tendons and ligaments. Orthopedic diseases are conditions affecting the muscles, ligaments and joints of the body.
Orthopedic conditions are injuries and diseases that affect the musculoskeletal system includes muscles, bone, nerves, joints, ligaments, tendon and connective tissues. Any damage of these structures cause orthopedic problems.
What are the common orthopedic problems?
Orthopedic problems include
- Arthritis (Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid arthritis)
- Lower Back pain
- Hamstring injuries
- Pain in the joints like knee joint, shoulder joint, hip joint, wrist and elbow joint
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Ligament injuries
- Muscle injury
- Spinal disc problem
- Ankylosing spondylitis
What are the common symptoms?
- Fatigue combined with joint pain or swelling
- Deformities of a joint
- Joint stiffness and limited range of movement
- Muscle spasms
- Numbness, and tingling sensation
- Swelling of the injured area
- Pain which may be mild, moderate or severe
- Stabbing or burning sensation
- Redness due to Inflammation
Symptoms may vary depending upon the cause and severity.
What are the Causes?
- Acute trauma that is sudden injury.
- Chronic trauma due to repeated force or stress on joint structures like tendon and ligament.
- Degenerative changes results in Osteoarthritis.
- Risk factors include obesity, ageing, chronic medical conditions like diabetes, smoking, strain, heavy weight lifting in inappropriate manner.
Ayurveda approach for orthopedic problems:
If the degenerative changes are the causes for the orthopedic in Ayurveda, early diagnosis always helps to treat with ayurveda medications and with a very good positive result.
Panchkarma followed by internal medications helps to control the degenerative changes and reduce the symptoms like paining, swelling and deformities.
- Basti is planned upon the condition of the individual.
- Sthanika Basti includes Janu Basti, Katiwasti, also depending upon the condition of the individual.
- Abhyanga with ksheerabala taila, dhanwantari taila, or nirgundi taila based on the condition of the patient, and dosha vikriti.
- Pichu is the therapy, a thick cotton dipping in medicated oil and placed on affected joints.
- Shashtika shaali pinda sweda
- Fracture in Ayurveda called as bhagna, so immobilization followed by lepana, internal medication, condition can be treated.
Important herbs for bone health:
Diet plays a very important role as a supplement and supporter for bones, muscles and all the supporting structure. Diet should be always rich in calcium and vitamins including vitamin C rich in like orange, bell pepper, guavas, kiwi fruit, papaya, broccoli.
- Dried plums, soaked almonds, walnut
- Fresh fruits and leafy vegetables
- Avoid Maida sugar and high salt diet
- Avoid fried and spicy food.
Role of yoga for healthy bones and muscles:
- Practicing yoga daily improve joint flexibility, decrease stress level.
- Prevent muscles weakness, improve posture of spine, stronger bone prevents fracture.
- Slow warm up
- Sukshma vyayama
- Ardhamatsendraasana slowly builds strength, mobility, always have to practice under guidance.